Do you know the story behind our coat of arms?
The coat of arms of the Golf-Club Starnberg e.V. shows a proud ship, the BUCENTAUR, with the Starnberg Castle in the background. At the founding of the Club, on 02. May 1986, the founders wanted to find a coat of arms that shows the historical significance of Starnberg and Lake Starnberg. They got inspired by the following historic “events” from the 17th century:
During the baroque period, Kurfürst Ferdinand Maria organized expensive and extravagant celebrations at the lake. In order to delight his wife Adelaide von Savoyen, who was a niece of the venetian Doge, he recreated the golden galley, the Buzintoro of the Doge and named it
‘Bucentaur’. The Bucentaur was a majestic ship, that was rowed by one hundred rowers and could accomodate the complete bavarian nobility. 100 smaller boats and around 1000 people were needed to host these gigantic celebrations. The whole shore was illuminated when they rowed from castle to castle. During these celebrations they also used to go on big lake hunts.
Kind regards, Helmut Wagner, Landowner.
Milestones since the foundation:
- Founding of the Golf Club Starnberg on the 2nd of May 1986 by the founding President August Mehr.
- Completion of the course work 1988 (golf course architect: Kurt Rossknecht).
- Opening of the Club House in the summer of 1988.
- Only four months after the establishment of the Golf-Club Starnberg it had crossed the 500 members line.
- Most important events: European Challenge Tour: Audi Quattro Trophy 1991 and 1992, host of the Bavarian Championships since 2012
Many thanks to the Kreissparkasse München Starnberg (supporter of a lot of important projects since 2007), to R. Rebmann Volvo Starnberg (supporter since 1990) and VS Immobilien GmbH, which has been a loyal and longtime sponsor.
For future projects the Golfclub Starnberg would be delighted to gain further sponsors. We would be happy to introduce our projects to you and discuss different possibilities of sponsoring.